Sunday, July 28, 2024

They're in!

It's that time of year again! When hardcore mackerel bashers dust last year's mackerel scales off of their tackle and head to the sea to pull out five at a time! What better way to spend a glorious summer evening than standing shoulder to shoulder with fellow mackerel bashers and repeatedly flinging feathers as far as you can?

The sun just about poking through the clouds. This is about as close to a glorious summer evening as we've had so far!

Having heard the rumours of their arrival, I decided to pop out for a couple of hours earlier this week, to see they were true, and hopefully catch my first mackerel of the year. Finding a relatively quiet spot, well away from the assembled masses, I opted to throw a 15g metal jig out into the Forth on a fairly light setup. It's much more fun catching them this way, and it didn't take too long to do just that!

They're in!

So, having ticked them off for the year, I don't think I'm going to bother catching any more mackerel. I'm not really a big fan of the mackerel season if I'm honest. I’d much rather be targeting other, more interesting species away from hordes of tinsel tossers! I'll only be targetting them if I need some to use as bait, and with a shark trip in the pipeline, that may mean that I may have to fling some flashy feathers about myself soon enough. Needs must!

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment