Monday, March 17, 2014

What goes down must come up.

I popped down to St Abbs Head last Wednesday and did a bit more exploring. It was a glorious day so I decided to have a walk along the clifftop and spotted what looked like a nice mark down below that looked fairly easy to access so I had a wander down.

Another new mark?

Sure enough getting down was quite easy and once there I found an elevated position on the rocks to fish from. The water around the mark was very deep and I think this spot will be great for a spot of lure fishing for pollock and wrasse in the summer.

Clear blue sky and the sun shining brightly over the next set of cliffs to the east.

Fishing was quite slow and I tried a few different baits starting off with crab before switching to mackerel and black lug/squid cocktails but when I did get a bite it was a very aggessive one with the culprit smashing a strip of mackerel fished on the top hook of my one up one down rig. It turned out to be a greedy little codling.

A nice reward.


It was such a nice day that I was quite happy just sitting there with my rod in my hands, feeling for bites with my eyes closed, enjoying the warm sun beating down on my face. No more bites came but I wasn't too bothered to be honest it was just so nice being down there. Sadly my enjoyment of the day came to an end when I had to make the climb back up. It's the only down side to descending the cliffs to the various marks at St Abbs Head but on such a nice day it was a small price to pay for such a relaxing session.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment