Thursday, September 12, 2013

"Street Fishing"...

...is not something I'm particularly a fan off. Popular in France in the Parisian canal system, a key requirement seems to be that you look cool whilst fishing and have all the latest gear. I'm not cool and never have been. Besides, for me, fishing should not be about what you are wearing and how flashy your tackle is. Rant over. That being said I think "street fishing" is a perfect way to describe this mornings efforts which I think more than qualify for the application of the term. Sneaking about in the centre of Edinburgh at dawn wearing black clothes like a ninja, brandishing a £19.99 rod and reel combo and free lining bread crust in the pond of a large financial services company's head office may not be cool but it was certainly very effective. First chuck and I was into a fish.

A golden orfe. Briefly borrowed so I could admire it before returning it to its concrete pond.

I was on edge the whole time I was there and have to say I found the ten minute session quite bizarre, particularly as it was ended by Police Scotland's finest who arrived just as I was unhooking my third golden orfe. They told me they were just passing and had stopped to see what I was up to but admitted they weren't sure that I was breaking any laws. I was honest, told them I probably was and that I'd pop the fish back and be on my way which they seemed to agree was a reasonable solution to my minor breach of the peace. However, I may have to return as I think I spotted a few goldfish in there too as well as a blue orfe amongst the golden ones! I'm starting to question my sanity.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment