Friday, August 07, 2026

Alternating current.

Torness Power Station is coming towards the end of its lifespan. In the next few years it will be decommissioned. I’ve caught a good variety of species from both the area where water is drawn in to cool the reactors and where it returns to the sea in a much hotter condition. The fishing can however be very mixed. Like the water around the station it can be hot or cold! I’ve had a few amazing sessions there, but also some very tough ones! Last month I visited twice and unfortunately the fishing was quite poor. Fortunately I did still manage to catch a few fish!

Long spined sea scorpion can usually be caught as they are usually present all year round and are very easy to tempt with a piece of ragworm.
More of summer species, leopard spotted goby can be caught in good numbers if the conditions are right and you know where to find them.

In kelpy areas, there are plenty of wrasse too, from late spring through summer into early autumn. 
Localised pockets hold small populations of goldsinny wrasse. 
Poor cod numbers seem to be on the increase over recent years. 
Bigger corkwing wrasse, like this darkly coloured male, can also turn up at certain spots. 

The action may be hit or miss down at Torness Power Station, but it’s still a good venue to visit for a quick session. It’ll be interesting to see how the fishing around it changes when it ceases to operate. The species found around the warm water outflow may well disappear, but I’m sure many of the others around the area will still be present. 

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment