Saturday, September 23, 2023

Species hunting road trip: Southbound pit stop.

Last Wednesday morning after saying goodbye to Nick and Ryan, I jumped in my car and began the long drive from Stranraer to Weymouth. About half way, I stopped at a tackle shop to buy some pinkies and then headed to nearby Kingsdown Flash. There I stretched my legs and quickly ticked off a species, that to my knowledge, is only found in that particular venue in the entire UK. 

A great venue for a short pit stop. 

My now tried and tested method of a tiny chunk of a pinkie on a tanago hook, fished under a Chianti pole float worked a treat, and I was soon catching some small roach, perch and my target species, the bitterling.

A small species, this was the largest bitterling I caught of about a dozen.

Mission accomplished! After relaxing for thirty minutes and chatting to some locals, I quickly packed up what minimal tackle I had used, got back in the car and continued my journey south. Arriving at my accommodation fairly early in the evening, I opted to relax, organise my tackle and tie up a few rigs for the species hunt on Flamer IV early the following morning. I was really excited by the prospect of potentially catching my first ever butterfly blenny!

Tight lines, Scott.

Click here for the next part.



No comments:

Post a Comment