Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Mission accomplished! Or is it?...

I received some information from a couple of fellow species hunting anglers at the end of August about two potential targets that they suspected/knew had been caught/observed down in the southwest of Scotland. The first one I thought was a little far-fetched. Juvenile brill from the shore? Amazing if true, but it was a friend of a friend type account of the fish caught and there were no photos to back it up. The second piece of info was that bass anglers down there were repeatedly having their lures hit by garfish. I have a friend who has hooked and landed garfish down there so that I could believe.

So, a plan was quickly formulated, and my mate Ryan and I drove down there for a full day fishing at two different venues. At the first spot, a beautiful sandy beach on the western side of the Rhins of Galloway, we fished the incoming tide with beachcasters using three hook flappers baited with mackerel strips and ragworm. It was a great session. In fact, I've never caught so many turbot in such a short space of time! We caught plenty of flounder too. Dozens in fact! We must have had over fifty flatfish between us! Some of the turbot were relatively dark in colouration, so I could see why someone could possibly mistake them for brill, but as I suspected, none of the fish we caught were.

Quite dark turbot with markings to match the sand they were living over.

Packing up the gear but staying in the Rhins of Galloway, we headed to the second venue over their eastern shore. The plan was to fish it over high tide, but it quickly became obvious that the wind had coloured up the sea and there was lots of weed suspended in the water too. Not ideal for targetting garfish. Thanks to some more information Ryan received from a fellow angler via WhatsApp, a backup plan was quickly hatched, and we drove north up to the old military pier and breakers yard at Cairnryan. When we arrived and climbed through the fences, there were two other people fishing on it already. When I asked if they had caught anything, I was told all they'd managed to catch was a single garfish. Just what I wanted to hear! Getting into position, I set up a float rig and baited up my three hooks with long, thin slivers of mackerel belly. Ryan set about catching some wrasse straight down the side, using what was left of our ragworm.

While Ryan landed some nice ballan wrasse and corkwing wrasse, I patiently watched my float as it drifted from right to left, taking up any slack line as it formed. It took a while for my float to go under, and when it did, I wound it in to discover it was a solitary cannibalistic mackerel on one of the hooks. It was quickly dispatched so that some fresh belly slivers could be put on my small Aberdeen hooks before my rig was cast out again. The next drift had just about ended when the float slowly went under again. I paused to allow the culprit to get the hook before winding down, feeling the weight of a fish. When a garfish came into sight as the rig came back in towards the side of the pier, my heart was racing. It was a nervous moment as I swung the fish up onto the platform, but I need not have worried as it was well hooked.

My first Scottish garfish.
What a bizarre mouth with hundreds of small fine teeth.
A well deserved trophy shot. I'd definitely caught my 100th species from Scottish venues now, right?

Well, technically no. Here's why. Saltwater species aren't the issue. I've caught at least 66 of those (67 if I have indeed caught a Corbin's sandeel.).

Saltwater species.
  1. Atlantic Horse Mackerel
  2. Ballan Wrasse
  3. Bass
  4. Black Goby
  5. Black Mouthed Dogfish
  6. Butterfish
  7. Coalfish
  8. Cod
  9. Common Blenny
  10. Common Dragonet
  11. Common Eel
  12. Common Goby
  13. Conger Eel
  14. Connemarra Clingfish
  15. Corbin's Sandeel*
  16. Corkwing Wrasse
  17. Cuckoo Ray
  18. Cuckoo Wrasse
  19. Dab
  20. European Smelt/Sparling
  21. Fifteen Spined Stickleback
  22. Five Bearded Rockling
  23. Flapper Skate
  24. Flounder
  25. Garfish
  26. Gilthead Seabream
  27. Golden Grey Mullet
  28. Goldsinny Wrasse
  29. Greater Sandeel/Launce
  30. Greater Spotted Dogfish/Bull Huss
  31. Grey Gurnard
  32. Haddock
  33. Herring
  34. Hooknose/Pogge/Armed Bullhead
  1. Leopard Spotted Goby
  2. Lesser Sandeel
  3. Lesser Spotted Dogfish
  4. Lesser Weever
  5. Ling
  6. Long Spined Sea Scorpion
  7. Mackerel
  8. Painted Goby
  9. Plaice
  10. Pollock
  11. Poor Cod
  12. Pouting/Bib
  13. Red Gurnard
  14. Rock Cook Wrasse
  15. Rock Goby
  16. Sand Goby
  17. Sand Smelt
  18. Shore Rockling
  19. Short Spined Sea Scorpion
  20. Spotted Ray
  21. Spurdog
  22. Starry Smoothhound
  23. Tadpole Fish
  24. Thick Lipped Grey Mullet
  25. Thornback Ray
  26. Tompot Blenny
  27. Tope
  28. Tub Gurnard
  29. Turbot
  30. Two Spotted Goby
  31. Viviparous Blenny
  32. Whiting
  33. Yarrell's Blenny
  34. *Still not 100% on this ID being correct.

The issue lies with freshwater species. Technically, some of the freshwater fish I've counted as separate species are not. 

Common carp, koi carp and mirror carp are all the same species.

Ide, blue orfe and golden orfe are all the same species.

Rainbow trout, blue trout and golden trout are all the same species.

Tench and golden tench are both the same species.

F1 carp and tiger trout are not species at all, they are hybrids.

Freshwater species.
Variations counted
individually and
hybrids included.
Variations counted
together and
hybrids excluded.

  1. Arctic Char
  2. Atlantic Salmon
  3. Blue Orfe
  4. Blue Trout
  5. Bream
  6. Brook Char
  7. Brown Trout
  8. Bullhead
  9. Chub
  10. Common Carp
  11. Crucian
  12. Dace
  13. F1 Carp
  14. Goldfish
  15. Golden Orfe
  16. Golden Tench
  17. Golden Trout
  18. Gudgeon
  19. Grayling
  20. Ide
  21. Koi Carp
  22. Minnow
  23. Mirror Carp
  24. Perch
  25. Pike
  26. Powan
  27. Rainbow Trout
  28. Roach
  29. Rudd
  30. Ruffe
  31. Stone Loach
  32. Tench
  33. Three Spined Stickleback
  34. Tiger Trout

  1. Arctic Char
  2. Atlantic Salmon
  3. Bream
  4. Brook Char
  5. Brown Trout
  6. Bullhead
  7. Chub
  8. Common Carp
    Koi Carp
    Mirror Carp
  9. Crucian
  10. Dace
  11. F1 Carp
  12. Goldfish
  13. Gudgeon
  14. Grayling
  15. Ide
    Blue Orfe
    Golden Orfe
  16. Minnow
  17. Perch
  18. Pike
  19. Powan
  20. Rainbow Trout
    Blue Trout
    Golden Trout
  21. Roach
  22. Rudd
  23. Ruffe
  24. Stone Loach
  25. Tench
    Golden Tench
  26. Three Spined Stickleback
  27. Tiger Trout
Total = 101. Total = 92.

So I've caught at least one hundred different kinds of fish from Scottish venues. If I want to be able to say I've truly caught one hundred species of fish from Scottish venues, I need to catch at least another nine true species, which is going to be incredibly tough. It's just as well that I like a species hunting challenge! So, what's next? I shall keep species hunting around Scotland of course! I'll be doing a few posts on potential target species soon...

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment