Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Nuclear fishin.

I spent a few hours down at Torness Power Station outflow yesterday pestering the resident bass again. After catching a few at distance on a slowly retrieved metal and a jighead mounted paddletail I switched to jigging micro metals at close range. It was great fun and I even saw some of the takes as the fish came from the bottom to grab the lure which is always exciting.

I fished a few diffirent micro jigs and the bass were loving them. This one is a cheap and cheerful Hart X-Mebaru jig with one of my own assist hooks attached to the top using a micro clip. Almost all the fish were nicely lip hooked. Great for catch and release.

I like fishing with metals and it's really something I should do more often. With doing so in mind I think I'm going to be stocking up on more jigs in the 3-5g range. I might get the vice out and tie up some more micro assist hooks to use with them as well.

Tight lines, Scott.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott, would you mind posting some details of what size/type of hook you use for your assists and how you tie them up please? Cheers, Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Ian...

      I make them using some basic fly tying tools with spade end chinu hooks, thread and 20lb fly line backing. I add a bit of micro crystal flash for extra bling. I also put on a 2mm rig ring by passing the loop through and then down round the outside. I might do a blog post with some photos if I get time.

      Delete