Monday, March 18, 2013

Most Wanted : Pumpkinseed.

Nothing to do with fruit and to be honest I had never even heard of this species until recently,  stumbling across it whilst looking for information on potential places to fish for various small silverfish like bleak, dace and bitterling. As soon as I saw it though I knew I'd like to catch one! This is the second freshwater species to make it onto to my growing list of unusual target species. Like the ruffe it is also a non native, invasive species that has been introduced to U.K. waters.

Quite a pretty little fish and kind of reminds me of a corkwing wrasse a bit due to its facial colouration and dark spot.

A very distinctive fish that can't be mistaken it is only found in a few places in south east England as far as I can tell so a cross border raid will be necessary if I'm going to have a go at catching them. From what I've read about them I don't think they are shy so once located catching one shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment