Monday, June 12, 2023

These aren't the cyprinid you're looking for.

My mate Callum caught a small barbel recently at Parkview Coarse Fishery near Cupar in Fife. It's a fairly new venue and on Tuesday last week I headed there to try and get one myself. It would have been a new addition to my Scottish life list, but unfortunately I didn't manage to catch one. Fishing maggots under a waggler for the majority of the day I did catch lots of small perch and a few roach. I also caught ide and their ornamental variants, blue and golden orfe.

My first Scottish golden orfe that didn't involve fishing in a corporate headquarter's ponds.
Likewise, the blue orfe I caught were my first from an actual fishery in Scotland.
The backs of the blue orfe had a lovely deep blue colour to them.

I also fished double sweetcorn and 2mm pellets on a small method feeder for a few hours but surprisingly this only produced one small common carp.

A lovely pristine little fish.

Speaking to one of the guys who works at the fishery shortly before I left, he told me that fifty barbel have been stocked into it. I'll certainly be returning soon for another go at catching my first Scottish barbel.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment