Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Exceeding expectations.

My workmate Gordon caught some viviparous blenny over on Granton breakwater recently, so the two of us headed out last Wednesday to see if we could catch some more. The exact spot we wanted to fish was busy, and the water in that area was slightly coloured up anyway, so we decided to head along to Newhaven Harbour instead where we felt it might be more sheltered from the easterly wind. I’ve not fished there for years and my expectations were pretty low as previous sessions there had been poor, but we were pleasantly surprised by the fishing. Dropping small pieces of ragworm down the side underneath the lighthouse produced lots of bites and several small fish to begin with. 

A common blenny was the first species to be caught. 
Followed by lots of long spined sea scorpion. 

After a while we both lost bigger fish and made some changes to our rigs. I increased the strength of my rig body and hooklength and also switched from fine wire pin hooks to a small chinu, a much stronger pattern. This saw us landing a number of ballan wrasse and cod. 

A nice ballan wrasse. It was great sport on my trusty Rock Rover. 
A small cod. No need to put the chips on. 

Switching back to lighter rigs produced more long spined sea scorpions and then Gordon caught a viviparous blenny. A good sign and I was confident I'd get one too if we fished for long enough. Next up though I caught a short spined sea scopion, a species I have caught at Newhaven Harbour before.

An unexpected bonus species added to this year's tally.

Shortly afterwards I did hook a viviparous blenny, but it fell of as I lifted it up the harbour wall. Disappointed, I carried on fishing and a few long spined sea scorpions later I caught a second viviparous blenny that stayed on the hook.

Viviparous blenny ticked off for another year!

We called it a day at about 21:00 having enjoyed a very productive session. In fact, we had enjoyed it so much that we returned the following evening after work again for a few hours. Gordon and I were joined by fellow workmate Ryan, who was keen to get in on the action. Unfortunately the water was a little more coloured up than the night before and the fishing wasn't as good. Ryan caught his first viviparous blenny and butterfish though, so he was glad he’d come with us. I caught a butterfish as well which I was over the moon about. I love catching them as I remember finding them under rocks on the foreshore as a child.

Butterfish always evoke happy memories of my rockpooling adventures as a young boy.

So, I've had to re-evaluate Newhaven Harbour as a species hunting venue. I'm pretty sure that Yarrell's blenny might be a potential target there too, most venues that produce butterfish usual hold them as well I’ve noticed over the years, so I'll definitely be going back to try and catch one of those! Although I’m away at the moment fishing marks soon that also throw up Yarrell’s blenny so I may get one sooner than that. 

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment