Saturday, January 21, 2023

Sixth sense.

Following on from my last post, I've had another session down at the incredibly glamorous sounding Marine Esplanade. I can assure you it is anything but. Flanked by a very large sewerage treatment plant, derelict waste ground and Leith docks, it's far from picturesque. There's also an abandoned Audi there at the moment, probably stolen, but the bright yellow police sticker on the driver window means they're already aware of its presence. I think it was -1°C on Wednesday night, it felt even colder thanks to a brisk wind. I was hoping to catch viviparous blenny, long spined sea scorpion or coalfish to add to my 2023 species hunt tally, but I only caught one fish during the short, two hour session. Another five bearded rockling.

Small one inch sections of frozen black lug soaked in squid oil were presented on a #10 Owner pin hook. A perfect little smelly package for a scavenging mini species' mouth.
Five beards on display and also its first dorsal fin. All six appendages are used to detect potential meals!

Having visited Marine Esplanade a few times now, I think a trip down the A1 to Dunbar Harbour is on the cards. I've got some new 1.5g micro metals that I want to try out, and the resident coalfish are the perfect target. Furthermore, I have a dedicated setup for targeting horse mackerel that I bought before the pandemic started, that I really need to put to more use.

Major Craft Nano Aji Metals. How cute!?

Dunbar Harbour is also a venue that can produce the odd viviparous blenny, if you can get through all the coalfish that is! I'll probably mix things up when I head there and fish with the micro metals and also do some more ultra light bait fishing too.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment