Friday, November 25, 2022

The less said, the better.

Fishing where you definitely shouldn't be fishing can add a little bit of extra excitement to the amount you would normally get from catching fish. I speak from experience, having had a brush with the law whilst fishing for golden orfe in a company's corporate headquarters' ornamental pond here in the capital. I've also had to make a sharp exit from a Welcome Break service station in England, after being accused by site security of fishing for goldfish in a pond in its grounds. So take it from me, it can be an exciting, but it can also be fraught with danger too! Therefore, it's not something I would encourage, really, engaging in these types of dodgy fishing sessions. However, needs must and if I was going to add a goldfish and a koi carp to my Scottish species tally, I decided I might have to be a little bit naughty once again. Looking into potential venues, I received a tip off about a koi carp in an Edinburgh pond, so I went for a look, tackleless. Sure enough, the pond did contain at least one koi carp that was living amongst lots of golden orfe and large rudd.

This lovely orange koi carp with irregular black scaling has been introduced into a pond in Edinburgh that runs along the front of several large corporate office buildings.

I noticed during my initial reconnaissance that the site was patrolled regularly by its security team. It would have to be a stealth mission and even then the probability of being caught was high, but I decided to take my chances. Returning with a telescopic rod all setup ready to go in a rucksack, along with a few slices of bread, I visited the venue a few times, but rather frustratingly I did not see the koi out in the open water again. Time for plan B!

The less I say about the venues I decided to raid, the better, but they were both in busy public places where picking my moment was key. Security was pretty much non-existent at both however, which was in my favour obviously, and the number of fish plentiful, so when the opportunity came, catching my first Scottish goldfish followed a few hours later by my first Scottish koi carp proved to be easier than taking candy from a baby.

I deliberately targeted a smaller goldfish. It took a small bread flake immediately and was rapidly swung to hand, quickly photographed and returned. I exited the crime scene promptly. Phase one complete.
At the second venue, again, a smaller koi carp was selected from those present to hopefully reduce any commotion that may draw unwanted attention to my exploits. Once I was sure there were no witnesses in my vicinity I went for it, quickly landed the fish, took a photo, slipped it back and left the area at a brisk pace. Phase two complete. Mission accomplished.

Just to be clear, looking back, I'm not proud of my actions and do not condone anyone foolishly trying to replicate them. That said, I don't think I've experienced as much adrenaline pumping through my body twice in one day! Arriving home a few hours later, the high had almost worn off, and I had just about come completely back down to earth again, I also realised that the goldfish and koi carp had left me only requiring one more species to reach my goal of one hundred from Scottish venues.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment