Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Not going up there again!

Following my failure to catch a "wild" brook trout, I wasn't too keen on repeating the hellish climb up to Lochan an Eireannaich again in a hurry. Luckily, Drumtassie Trout Fishery in West Lothian have stocked some aggressive brook trout into their fly fishing ponds, so I headed there at the end of July to strip some lures in an attempt to catch one. Nowhere near as dramatic or romantic as climbing up to a remote hill loch to catch a wild one, but needs must. Within the first hour of the session, my yellow dancer lure had been taken by a couple of rainbow trout before I got lucky and managed to catch my target.

Easy enough and more importantly only a short walk from the car.

I'm not very good at casting a fly line and if I'm honest, fly fishing at commercial venues is also probably my least favourite way to fish. That said, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch my first ever golden trout. They seemed more difficult to catch than standard rainbow trout, of which they are a genetic variation. I think being so visible, they've had every fly conceivable put in front of their faces and are a bit more cautious in their meal choices as a result. With plenty of golden trout stocked into the fishery's ponds, I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to keep returning until I eventually got my first golden trout.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment