Friday, August 16, 2024

Finding the right hole.

On Sunday, I visited a rocky shore mark in Gourock to spend a few hours targeting topknot. I was given detailed information by my friend and fellow species hunter Andrew on exactly where he caught one himself recently.

Here's one I didn't catch earlier. Such a cool little fish. I particularly love the banding that runs from their eyes. Makes them look like a little bandit!

Andrew, for the time being anyway, fishes mainly ultra light tackle and does so exclusively using lures. Although, he's told me in the future he wants to broaden his horizons into the smelly world of bait fishing, mainly so that he can catch a few different shark species. Years ago, I went through a similar phase, so I decided to spend the session fishing only with artificial baits. Knowing that topknot sit flush on rocky surfaces, I decided to use a 3g cheburashka weight to present these.

A Gulp! Hellgrammite rigged up, ready to get eaten...
...which it soon was by this tompot blenny.

This combination was getting hammered by what I suspect were goldsinny wrasse, but the hook I had on was a little too big for them to get into their mouths, so I decided to try a few unscented lures in an attempt to actually catch my target. Unsurprisingly, these got less attention, but eventually a long spined sea scorpion took a liking to a bright pink straight tail as I twitched it down inside a gap in the boulders.

Greedy little swine!

After a while, a seal arrived and hung around just out in front of me. Obviously expecting the opportunity to steal mackerel from a set of feathers, it sat up in the water staring at me for a short period. Eventually, it realised that my fishing activity didn't involve mackerel and swam off again.

Looking for an easy meal.

Getting back to my topknot hunting, I switched back to Gulp! again and after missing quite a lot of bites I caught a small corkwing wrasse that did a decent job of getting down into the rocks, but with a little gentle pressure and also by giving it some slack line I managed to coax it out.

Yummy! Hellgrammite.

The non-stop little taps kept coming though, tugging my hellgrammite around the bend of my hook, ruining the nice straight presentation, so eventually I gave in and rigged up a small hook on a stinger. Tying this onto my cheburashka weight and threading a Mini Isome up onto it so that the hook was placed near the bottom, soon had a few of the culprits caught.


Peck, peck, pecking away. Got you!

For the last couple of hours, I stuck with this presentation and caught dozens of goldsinny wrasse. If there was a topknot lurking down there, getting through the goldsinny wrasse was going to be a huge problem. I also caught a few long spined sea scorpion and another two tompot blenny as well though, so I guess it's a numbers game. A huge slice of good fortune will be required also, being lucky enough to drop your rig down into the right hole, at the right time, with a topknot in the rig's vicinity when it hits the bottom.

I'd forgotten how good Isome is for close quarter mini species fishing. I've got loads of it too, so will probably make an effort to use it more often going forward.

Another fun session had soon came to an end, even if a topknot had remained elusive. I enjoyed messing about with artificial for a change. Being honest, I'd almost always choose to fish with top quality bait as it will always give you the best chance to catch fish, but as a backup Gulp! and Isome are great to have available. The highlight of the day was catching a few tompot blenny, not a species I've caught that many of up here in Scotland, and now thanks to Andrew sharing his topknot holding spot with me, it seems that I have another place here to go catch them!

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment