Friday, December 23, 2022

What's next? Raiding rockpools!

Going forward, what species can I target in Scotland that I haven't caught before? Well, I've been reliably informed that some East Coast rockpools have been known to very occasionally turn up the odd topknot or lumpsucker. This info was shared by a bait collector, who sometimes comes across them when he's out after dark gathering various molluscs and crustaceans. 

A small lumpsucker. These fish are now bred for use as cleaner fish in farmed salmon pens.
A small common topknot clinging to a piece of kelp. I think these are relatively common but due to their lifestyle, hiding in cracks and upside down under rocks, they are not caught often by anglers. They're nocturnal, which might explain them showing up in rockpools after dark as they hunt for food.

It goes without saying that next year I'll be out with my waders and a head torch on to see if I can spot either of these species, ready to drop a baited hook in front of their mouths should I get lucky enough to spot them!

This revelation got me thinking, and whilst doing further research into what other unusual species can sometimes turn up in Scottish rockpools, I stumbled across an interesting video on YouTube. It featured some great underwater footage of several transparent gobies and possibly also a crystal goby too in rockpools. Amazingly, the video was shot in exactly the same area I'd been told to go looking for the juvenile lumpsucker and topknot!

This is a transparent goby. A tiny goby that you've probably never heard of. They are pretty hard to spot because, as their name suggests, they are almost see-through! This has me wondering if they are not uncommon and maybe are overlooked or mistaken for the fry of other species?
This is a crystal goby. Compared to the transparent goby it has a slightly longer body, its second dorsal fin and anal fin have a lot more rays which are shorter and more uniform in height and its first dorsal fin only has two rays or is absent completely.

Finding them let alone catching these diminutive gobies might be extremely difficult, but I like a micro species challenge and besides, I know it can be done as a few very dedicated species hunters in Scandinavia have successfully targeted both. With some patience and a packet of tanago hooks, I think I can catch them too!

Several types of pipefish are also species that I might discover whilst exploring rockpools. I believe there are six species of pipefish that inhabit UK waters.

  1. Broadnosed Pipefish (Syngnathus typhle)
  2. Greater Pipefish (Syngnathus acus)
  3. Lesser or Nilsson's Pipefish (Syngnathus rostellatus)
  4. Shortsnout Pipefish (Lissocampus filum)
  5. Snake Pipefish (Entelurus aequoreus)
  6. Worm Pipefish (Nerophis lumbriciformis)

Related to the seahorses, this family of fish are perfectly adapted to living in seaweed, where they are perfectly camouflaged. Not a group of fish I knew much about until I started writing this blog post, but I've been learning about them in the process. Every day is a school day!

Here's a snake pipefish. Tanago hooks might come in handy if I manage to spot any pipefish.

So, I think rockpools could provide some potentially exciting and unusual additions to my Scottish species tally and as well as the species discussed above, who knows what other weird fish might turn up?

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment