Thursday, July 16, 2015

Small stream shenanigans.

Last Sunday's Fish Club meeting was cancelled due to nobody being able to attend. I still wanted to get out though and my mate Nick agreed to meet me for a couple of hours' fishing late on in the evening. We hit the coast to explore a low water rock mark but the windy conditions were against us and we failed to catch any fish. On the way back to the car we passed a small stream and spotted a few trout rising, an opportunity too good to miss. We quickly rigged up some tiny soft plastics and from the first cast had little brownies attacking them as we cast them upstream and retrieved them a little faster than the current. A few casts later I hooked a fish and quickly landed it.

A pristine little brown trout. Lovely.

Working our way upstream we found another couple of nice little pools and soon landed a couple more of the beautifully marked little fish. We were both glad to have avoided a blank and our unscheduled foray into freshwater was a reminder to me that I really must get out with my brook rod and put the grey dusters I tied up to use. I think some of East Lothian's small streams might be getting a visit soon.

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment