Thursday, May 08, 2014

Getting warmer.

The other day I had a bit of an urge to catch some blennies so I jumped in the car and headed down to blenny Mecca, Torness Power Station outflow, with what was left of my box of ragworm from Tuesday afternoon's session at Greenock. When I got there the tide was on its way in and had just started to flood into the boulders that make up the sea defences to the right of the outflow. This is normally the best spot to explore but to my surprise there didn't seem to be many blennies around. It was hard work finding them but eventually I caught one or two and was quite happy.

A small luke warm blenny.

As more and more warm water from the outflow flooded into the gaps between the boulders though more and more blennies began appearing and it got to the point where I could see them all sitting on the submerged rock faces of the boulders. They were eagerly fighting over my small ragworm chunk as soon as it went in. This was great fun to watch and I had soon caught over thirty of the funky little fish. It's amazing what a few degrees rise in water temperature can do to fish feeding behaviour and the fish were noticeably warmer too. 

A larger and almost par boiled blenny.

Just as my bait supply began to dwindle out of nowhere a small eel appeared. The colour of its long fins made me think it was a tiny conger eel but despite it hanging around in the same gap between the boulders for five minutes or so I could not catch it to confirm this despite it having a few slashes at my bait. Rather annoyingly the gathered hordes of ravenous blennies beat it to my hook every time and soon I had run out of ragworm. Oh well, I had satisfied my need to be bitten numerous times by blennies and while a bonus bootlace conger eel would have been a nice treat it was still pretty cool to see one and I headed home quite content. 

Tight lines, Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment